If it seems like I've disappeared for awhile you can blame that on the people who seem to have nothing better to do than to create viruses that get in your computer and crash it. It disheartens me to dwell on the fact that some people get a kick out of creating these kind of things.
Anyway, enough of that sentiment.
One quick story to empty from my thoughts. The other day a good friend of Claire's called to let Claire know she had tried out and been accepted into a particular group. Claire congratulated her. Her friend then went on to say something and the way it came out could have made Claire sad or have hurt feelings. Since it was on speaker phone I heard the whole conversation. I noticed Claire didn't say a whole lot so when she hung up I asked her if what her friend had said had hurt her feelings.
Claire responded, "Well maybe a tiny bit. But mom, I know her and she would never be mean or say mean things to me on purpose. I think she was just trying to say...."
As Claire finished her thought I realized that this friendship would last if these girls continue to think like that. Then I realized that there was a lesson here that I could learn from. If someone who I really know says something that could be taken as hurtful, etc, perhaps I should examine what I know about the person before I react to the comment.
Ok, obviously is someone is yelling at me or speaking rudely, then yes, they mean to be rude. But if a good friend says, "Are you expecting twins? You're so big!" (And no, I'm NOT pregnant, just an example) then I should think about who is saying it and what I know about them. I think it is a great way to help me become less offended in life and in return helps me focus on the good in others. We all say things or misspeak at times and how sad it would be if someone held a misspoken thought against me for a long time.
I was glad Claire has learned this at such a young age. And she is absolutely right. This friend would never purposely be mean or say something mean. So by recognizing this, no tears were shed, no fight ensued. Instead the following day they were holding hands and giggling like good friends do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Dang, that girl is so MATURE!
Isn't that so true! People normally don't mean to hurt our feelings especially not our friends. I say dumb things all the time and hopefully my friends know they aren't meant to be offensive! She is so smart!
I need that reminder too, sometimes. It's true, though. People ARE generally good. What a special girl to pick up on that so young!
Oh, p.s. I'm at greenbluebirds.blogspot.com now. I changed it.
I think I will come to her with my problems from now on. She is so much wiser than I!
I'm very impressed with her once again!! What a blessing she seems to be in your family! Definitely a lesson we should all take to heart ourselves! :)
Post a Comment