Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Harry Potter (spoiler alert)

I went and saw the new Harry Potter movie last night. I have to say I was disappointed. I knew the script would be changed in various spots in order to squeeze everything in and that's fine, but what really bummed me out was the ending. I was hoping they would keep it close to the book and while some of it was, to me it was very anti-climatic. I was so surprised at how they handled it--I mean Harry Potter just standing beneath watching, instead of being frozen underneath the invisibility cloak, having Dumbledore's last act be to save Harry? It took so much away from that that I forgot to be sad when Dumbledore dies. I kept waiting for them to fix the scene.

Also, what was up with the Weasley's house being burning up? I read HP#6 a couple of times and I don't remember that at all--in fact in book 7 the wedding takes place there, so what, do they rebuild it? And what was the purpose of it? Maybe someone could explain that to me.

There are other changes, like no Dursley's--just Harry in a cafe flirting with the waitress, Luna finding Harry on the train instead of Tonks. No relationship between Tonks/Remus--it's already there. No Ron's brother, what's his name, Bill? with scars on his face after being attacked by Fenrir. In fact there is no dueling at all between the students/professors and the Death Eaters. Not even a reference to it. There are no memory visitations of how Voldemort tries to collect things for his Horcruxes. So unless they explain that in movie 7 or you've read the books, you've got no idea what Harry is looking for.

Ok, so yes, I was disappointed. Having said that, it wasn't a bad movie. I laughed several times out loud. And if you hadn't read the books (or don't remember details) it might even be good. Oh, and I would like to know how it got a PG rating. When the adults next to you literally jump out of their chairs when the Inferi grab Harry, I can't imagine what the 6 year old in the theatre must have thought. I guess for me when I think that Ice Age and movies like that are PG, and then I see HP, I think, they're not even in the same category. HP has much darker themes. Like death and destruction.

I have to say I was fascinated by the assortment of age groups represented. No teenagers, but small children, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, and probably even 70 somethings were all there.

Anyway, just had to give my 2 cents about it.

5 comments:

Lisa R said...

You have a great memory!! It has been a while since I have read the books and so I forgot all of that stuff! So now maybe I don't like the movie as much as I thought I did! David was laughing through a lot of it, but thought there was not as much action as most of the other HP( he has never read the books). We both thought it could have been done in less than 2.5hrs. I guess the last book is going to be a 2 part movie so maybe that will better?!

Rebecca said...

Yes, I talked to a couple of friends who couldn't remember what happened at the end and I told them to see it if they couldn't remember the book. I think I wouldn't have been so disappointed if I hadn't remembered so much. I too laughed through parts of it. My favorite was at the spider when Harry said, "And the pinchers"

Catherine said...

Rebecca, Like Lisa, I had forgotten so many of the details from the book that I mostly enjoyed the movie. But I DID remember that the house didn't burn down in the movie and that that whole added "cornfield" scene was new. It confused me at first, when I was watching it. I thought, "What's going on?" And Matt reminded me that Ginny wasn't the one who who helped Harry hide his book in the room of requirement, either.

I wished they would've explained Fenrir more - about his responsibility to change people to werewolfs. IF you hadn't read the books, you wouldn't have even known who he was, from the movie. And the whole ending scene - I WAS frustrated that the students and the bad guys didn't have that duel at the end, like the book described. It looked for a second, in the movie, like Harry was going to go down and get everyone, but then the movie just sort of . . . ended. So that was LAME. BUT I STILL CAN'T WAIT FOR THE LAST TWO MOVIES!!!

Robert, Melanie and fam said...

I would have to agree with you on all your points. I was so disapointed with the end I had to explain to Robert in full detail may I add the complete ending. It just made me feel better

Unknown said...

I liked it, but then, I didn't read the books. It was actually my favorite of the HP movies. That's true about the PG rating, though. It's pretty intense!