Here are some recent conversations with Jeremiah that have made me smile and laugh.
The first conversation took place around the dinner table.
Claire: "Give me the first piece of pizza."
JR: "No, give ME it first."
Me: "Jeremiah, Claire gets it first. Ladies first."
JR: "Why mom? Why? Why ladies first?"
Me: Big pause. No answer.
JR: "Mom, WHY?!"
Stuart: "That's a very good question Jeremiah."
JR: "Yes it is."
Notice he never really got an answer.
The next takes place as we're trying to leave preschool. Put emphasis on the word try. Jeremiah and his friend Christopher were having a wonderful time playing together outside. However after awhile it was just time to go. Neither Jeremiah nor Christopher were gung-ho on the leaving idea. Even the promise of a peanut butter and honey sandwich didn't get Jeremiah moving toward the car.
Finally I laid down the law and said it was time to go. Jeremiah reluctantly followed behind me stomping his feet as he came and yelled, "I am so mad!"
I have been trying to validate my children's feelings better so I said, "I can see that you're mad. " To which Jeremiah quickly inserted, "I am so mad at you!" I turned and said, "Thank you for using your words to tell me how you're feeling. I appreciate that. You and Christopher were having a really fun time together. I can see that leaving before you're ready makes you mad."
Jeremiah sort of "Hmmphfed" and climbed into his car seat and buckled up. As we were driving away Jeremiah crossed his arms and said again, "Mom, I'm still mad at you." "That's ok Jeremiah, you can be mad at me." "I can?" he asked. "Why?" (His tone is much more mellow now.) "Because only you can decided when you don't want to be mad at me anymore. I know you're upset about leaving and so if you want to be mad at me you can. I can't stop you."
There was a bit of a pause as his brain sorted this information out. Finally he said, "Mommy, I know what you can do so I won't be mad." "Oh really, what's that?" I asked.
And then in his super sweet, really high voice, doing his best to imitate his mother's sweet voice said, "Say, Jeremiah, please don't be mad at me anymore. Try that." So I did. "Jeremiah, please don't be mad at me anymore." "OK Mommy." "Oh thank you Jeremiah." "You're welcome Mommy." It was all smiles the rest of the way home.
And if you're not bored of stories yet, here's a conversation between Stuart and Jeremiah that took place in the car (without me present).
S: Jeremiah, are you a mama's boy or a daddy's boy?
J: I'm a mama's boy!
S: What do you love more, TV or mama?
J: Mama!
S: What do you love more, candy or mama?
J: Mama!
S: What do you love more, blankie or mama?
J: Mama
S: Jeremiah, what do you love more, TV or daddy?
J: TV!
S: What do you love more, candy or daddy?
J: Candy!
S: What do you love more, blankie or daddy?
J: Blankie!
Poor Stuart. Thankfully he knows his son loves him and found it funny rather than defeating. But it is pretty true, the only thing that is going to come about TV, candy, and blankie right now in his life is his mama.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Those stories are great!! I love how kids think! Glad to know he has his priorities straight! Mommies ROCK!!
Awwww . . . Gotta love Momma's boys. I think I have one too.
Great stories. I just love it when they say cute "kid" things.
That's so sweet! I cherish these days when they love us so much! Kayley always comes and hugs my arms and says I love you! I just melt when she does that!
That is so cute!! Your such a good mommy!!
Post a Comment