On Wednesday Claire excitedly recounted her experience of getting to read one page out of the book she had written to the class. Apparently this book is about her best friend Cora. As she was telling me about reading she said, "But mom, I think I might have hurt someone's feelings." I replied, "Oh really? Tell me about it."
Claire then went on to narrate how she realized when she was reading that she had used the phrase "best friend". She was afraid it had hurt Sydney's feelings who is also her best friend. (One thing you should know about Claire is that she has lots of "best friends". She sorts of picks one from every group imagineable. For example, best friend from church, best friend from gym, best friend from gifted, best friend from her pod of desks, best lunch time friend, etc.)
After she told me that I said, "So you were afraid that by saying Cora was your best friend you had hurt Sydney's feelings because Sydney thinks you're her best friend?" "Yes." I then asked her what she did. "Well mom," Claire said, "I went over to Sydney and told her not to worry. I told her I was sorry if I had hurt her feelings. Then I explained that Cora is my best friend at church but that she was also my best friend."
I was so impressed with and proud of Claire. Here is Claire, at age 6, who understands that other people have feelings and is concerned about them. I told Stuart about it who sort of laughed and said, "That's very impressive. I don't think I realized other people had feelings until almost college." I am so grateful she thinks about these things.
But perhaps I am even more humbled by it because of what Claire has been through this week. It has been a week full of teasings from kids in all facets of life. As Claire has opened up to us it has surprised me what has been said and how long it has been happening. I have been strong for her during the day and tried to turn them into teaching opportunities and then cried in the middle of the night because it breaks my heart for her. So here, despite having herself treated poorly, Claire recognized someone else's feelings and gently approached her friend to make sure her friend felt loved.
What a reminder to me about turning the other cheek. Claire didn't pass on the negative treatment to others. She hasn't ridiculed others or teased just because she's being teased. She is not angry at innocent people. It reminded me that when I'm grumpy and out of sorts that it shouldn't be passed on to the next person. It takes a strong person not to do that.
I am honored to be Claire's mother. Not because I think her good choices are a reflection of me, but because of what she teaches me day after day. I am honored to get to be the mother of someone so strong and so beautiful. It is truly a great privilege.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Claire really is a wonderful girl! Wouldn't it be nice if more people-kids and adults-were that way!
What a gift to have such a sensitive and conscientious daughter. That behavior should be praised till you are blue in the face. We all want our children to be that way.
Claire is so sweet and I am sure her sweet spirit helps many people. Hopefully she will always realize this and continue to be the good example she is. Of course you should give your self some credit, you are a really good mom and I am sure your nurturing has gone a long way!
What a sweet, caring girl! I'm very impressed too! She seems to have a huge heart!
Oh..and that's cool that "one" of her best friends' name is Cora!! :) I'm not partial or anything though!! :)
I'm so glad I read this! Such a perfect message at the perfect time. I love your blog!
Post a Comment