Recently the St. Louis Science Center brought in the "A T-Rex Named Sue" exhibit from the Chicago Field Museum. Since Jeremiah loves dinosaurs and Claire is always eager to learn I took them to see Sue. Sue is the largest, most complete T-Rex ever found. She/he (it's unknown for sure if it's a female/male) was found in the U.S. and after a long debate who the fossils belonged to, Sue went up for auction and sold in 8 seconds for millions of dollars. Here is a poor picture of Sue:
As we entered the exhibit Claire said, "Look Jeremiah, it's a REAL dinosaur!" Jeremiah replied, "Yes, but it is all bones!"
After Claire and Jeremiah gawped at the giant T-Rex (for all of 30 seconds) they ran off to do all the other activities incorporated with the exhibit. Claire actually read all the info about the dinosaur with me while Jeremiah showed zero interest in factual information. He just wanted to spend his time searching for dino bones. So Claire came home spouting her wealth of info about Sue and the Chevron bone while Jeremiah's response was "It was big." Still, they both enjoyed it a lot and both learned things.
Eventually I coaxed them out of the exhibit by a promise of stopping by to see their favorite sections of the rest of the museum: the dinosaur exhibit that is permanently there and the math section. We ended with a trip to their outside "playground".
I love living in St. Louis with so many family things to do. The Science Center is one of our favorites. It is free with the exception of special exhibits, but even when they bring in special exhibits you can almost always get discounted tickets. Since so many things are free/low cost here in St. Louis I never grumble at the taxes I pay to the city for I feel like I actually get a lot in return.
Jeremiah unearthing dinosaur bones.
Claire seeing the world through the eyes of a T-Rex.
Jeremiah and Claire scrub off rock to get to a fossil.
Kids feet in a T-Rex footprint. (Note Jeremiah's shirt--he had to wear it to see the T-Rex)
No comments:
Post a Comment