After what was supposed to be a routine follow up at the Opthamologist, we learned that Claire's Strabismus has worsened some since her surgery. After surgery she was at an 8 ( you want numbers to be low) and has been an 8 for a year and a half. Her initial test at this appointment scored her an 8 as well but because of some consistent complaints by Claire over the last few appointments he did a further test which revealed she's measuring about a 12.
Anything between 12-14 puts you on the fence for surgery. We knew going into this that it often takes 2-3 surgeries to fix the problem but we were hoping. Still, surgery makes me a bit nervous because the lower the number is, the greater risk there is to over compensate and actually make it so the eyes splice in opposite directions. Not good! When you're at a 20, it's obvious to do the surgery. 12-14 puts you right on the fence.
Since I tend to fall off the wrong side of fences I asked about all of our options. His recommendation was to put Claire in glasses for farsightedness and do patch therapy in conjunction in hopes that the muscles will strengthen on their own instead of needing surgical intervention.
Claire was a trooper considering before we even started the appointment Claire said, "Please don't let them put me in glasses. I don't want to wear glasses." (You need to understand too that this appointment was right in the middle of when Claire was going through a rough time of a couple kids being unkind--ok, let's call it what it is--really rude and mean to her.) But when the other option was surgery, Claire was suddenly very excited about the prospect of glasses. Less so about the patching, but willing to do so if it meant no surgery.
Our doctor recommended an optic store out of St. John's to us. I was really hoping they would be good since our last one was very unhelpful, etc. But Dr. Rollo wasn't kidding. St. John's was more than prepared to help children. In fact 1/2 their store was all kids frames. The man who helped us was patient and kind and would bring frame after frame to make sure we found one that looked nice on Claire. He gave us his opinons without being pushy. Actually the second or third pair he broght to us is the one we chose, but he encouraged us to try on many more just so we went home comfortable knowing this frame was the best one for Claire. They just complimented her face better than other styles. And to top off such a helpful experience, all their kid glasses are put into a package price so we got out of there for about $200. I was very pleased.
Claire was excited and nervous to wear her glasses to school. She asked her good friend, "Will you still be my friend when I have my glasses?" Her friend answered, "It's not what you look like Claire, it's how nice you are." I sent her mom an email expressing my gratitude for having taught her child such nice manners and just to let her know so that she can be pleased about those good things her child does that she doesn't get to see. I think moms need to hear these things when they happen.
After Claire had that reassurance she didn't seem overly worried anymore. We had a nice talk about what we could do if someone teased her. We gave her things she could say like, "I am the same person, only I wear glasses now. Did I make fun of you when your teeth fell out and you looked different?" Or, "Do I tease you when you get a haircut and look different? No, we all look different some time in our life but it doesn't mean that I am different. I'm still the same Claire."
We also talked about being very grateful that we live in a day when we have glasses so we can see, or have our eye muscles strengthened, or even have eye surgery if we need it. Otherwise we'd go through life not being able to see very well or maybe even be blind, so it is really a blessing to be able to have glasses.
As I sent Claire off to school with her new glasses she was excited. I gave her a hug and asked if she was nervous. "No." she replied. "If someone teases me then that's their problem. They are choosing to make a poor choice. They are choosing to get in trouble because I can tell Mrs. Henderson. She doesn't allow that stuff in her class. And I can just talk to them and teach them."
I knew she'd be ok whatever happened. We then went outside to take a bunch of cute glasses pictures so here's our "Cutie Claire" in her new glasses! 
1 comment:
Great glasses! They look like they fit her perfectly. I remember getting glasses in the 5the grade. Back then the only glasses my parents could afford were the HUGE plastic ugly frames!! I would take them to school and put them on to read the board and take them off immediately to write the notes. I wore them as little as possible!
Hers are way cute though! I don't think she will have trouble!
Post a Comment