My birthday was last week and I have to say it was a really nice one. It started off fairly normal, sending kids to school and running a bunch of errands. But at lunch time I picked up Jeremiah and Megan from preschool. On the way to Megan's house I said, "Jeremiah, do you know what today is?" "Yes, it's your birthday!" "That's right. We'll have to get you home so you can make me a present!" "We already got you a present." I was a bit confused but before I questioned him he said, "Uh, just forget that I said anything." So I did. After all, a 3 year old is not always known for making sense.
Well after getting to Megan's home I had a fantastic birthday lunch with some friends. The lunch were these awesome, HUGE, chicken salad crossaints. I didn't even pretend to just need half. I took a whole one and ate the entire thing. After all, if you can't do that on your birthday, when can you? There were also yummy sides and cupcakes. I was then surprised with a gift--a personal laminator! I was really excited because I've been wanting one for such a long time. It was a great surprise and a great time together with friends.
Then I came home just in time to see Stuart getting home and Claire's bus pulling up. Stuart said he was going to take the kids and work out, but then Claire came in from the bus, flung off her shoes, and said, "Mom, I have something for you." She whipped an envelope out of her back pack, which I opened. It was a clue to a treasure hunt leading me to my birthday present. I was so excited. I love these type of things. So I look at my husband, who was standing there grinning, and smiled. The kids and I went to work deciphering the clues. I'm not sure who tried the hardest to get to the clues first, me or the kids. At each clue there was a present of some sort. Even better!
At the end of the treasure hunt, I was happy and my kids were whiny. It's hard not to be the birthday boy/girl. Then we got the requests for their birthdays, "I want Optimus Prime and a treasure hunt!" "I want one just like moms only with stuff that I want." It really was a fun surprise. Then while Stuart was in the kitchen making my birthday dinner I went and sat down at the computer. While I'm sitting there I see from my front window my parents walking up. I thought, "That's Mom and Dad." Pause. "That's MOM AND DAD!" So they surprised me by showing up for our dinner. Stuart did all the work. He unpacked my china and goblets, cooked, cleaned. I got to sit around and visit. It was really nice.
Then after dinner my sister and brother in law show up--another surprise to me! They came to see the entertainment: about 10 skits put on by Stuart and the kids. These skits were short and hilarious. I got video footage of some but can't seem to figure out how to get it off my new camera and onto the blog, so I'll have to work on it. But they really were hilarious.
Finally we ended the night with cake/icecream. People departed and I went to bed to see my message machine blinking. A good friend from KC had called to wish me Happy Birthday and my brother called too. Not to mention all the Happy Birthdays left on my FB page. It was a very well celebrated birthday. I was totally surprised and loved every minute of it. I asked Stuart when he did it all and he said, "For the last month and a half." I asked him when. He said, "It's just a good thing you've had a lot of primary meetings and activities." Well I guess that's one blessing of being primary president. (: I still don't know how he got the kids not to tell me. That impressed me the most, I think.
I'm thankful to all my friends and family who helped make my birthday so special from an email, to calls, to lunch, and my surprise. And of course to wonderful Stuart who pulled the whole thing off and made it such a hit. Thank you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Happy Belated Birthday! What a nice birthday! It's always nice to share it with the ones you love and especially to get dinner prepared, cooked, and cleaned up for you! :) Glad you had a great day!
I will have to show this post to David so he can get some ideas! That sounds like a lot of fun! You deserve a special day, thank you for all you do for us!
Ahh that is so sweet! That must have been great to see your family for your birthday! Where do they live? Do they live very far away? Well happy belated birthday I'm so glad you had a great one!
awwww, I missed it! BUt, HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY!!!
I'm so glad it was a good one, with lots of friends, family, & celebration
Post a Comment