Of course with Daddy in tow, we were bound for a little bit of excitement. We approac
hed a rocky formation with fake lizards on it. Stuart had convinced Jeremiah and Claire they were real and Jeremiah kept trying to see if lizard twitch it's tail. There were holes in the formation and Stuart would tell the kids he saw one run in so they would peek their heads in the holes and shout, "We can't see it!"
Finally Claire tried to pick one up and it wouldn't come off and so with hands on her hips declared, "Daddy, these are NOT real. They are fake." While perhaps it's not the nicest thing to trick your kids, admittedly it was very funny watching them peek in the holes or focus on their tails in hopes they would catch a glimpse of it moving.
This trip we al
so got to go to the Insectorium which, besides bugs, has a small butterfly house. The giant cockroaches, millipedes and other various creepy crawlies were not my favorite but I loved the butterfly house. The butterflies flitter all around you. There was a giant butterfly that had just hatched but stayed on the tree b/c its wings were still wet. I wish we could have stayed longer but it was crowded and Claire was getting nervous about one landing on her head. I plan on going back sometime when I can spend more time there. The picture at the left is of a Zebra butterfly who flew over my head and landed majestically on the flowering plant.
After that we went and let the kids ride the caurosel, twice. Miss Independent did not want mom and brother anywhere near her so we granted her the freedom to go by herself. Jeremiah wanted to follow his sister's example but was forced to have me stay by him since he was too short. If I even touched the gorilla it upset him. But despite having me there, you can see what I call pure kid joy on their faces. These are the moments I live for.
We of course saw as much as possible but didn't get to see everything. We ended by seeing the alligators, hoping to find a Caiman since it was on our "Diego Rescue Mission" list. We didn't see a Caiman, but we did see this big alligator. He looked a little hungry so Stuart decided to offer his finger for a snack. Guess the alligator wasn't hungry because Stuart came home with all 10 fingers.
3 comments:
YEAH! Zoo days are so fun. We like the fact that St Louis is free, too. I'll post about my "zoo day" at the Omaha Zoo soon.
I am glad you guys got to enjoy a day at the zoo and that you are enjoying STL. Now I will have you on my side to convince David to move when he's done with school!
I love the STL zoo. I miss it. Just one of the many things we miss about STL (including your family). We hope to see you sooner than later.
Post a Comment