Jeremiah was put on a medicine by his dermatologist a week ago. I don't remember the exact name but I do remember the dermatologist's caution, "The medicine tastes bad but try to get him to take it all."
I didn't really worry too much about it. It's just medicine, right? How bad can it taste. We're used to all sorts of medicines, procedures so 3/4 teaspoon of anything can't be to difficult to swallow.
The first time I gave Jeremiah the medicine he instantly spit it out--and you could say at me since I was right there in front of him. Second time, right back at me again. Third time I gave my firm warning that he was to swallow it and he had better not spit it at me. As soon as it hit his mouth he covered his mouth with his hand to keep it from coming out, then gagged until it came out.
He was crying, "I'm so sorry Mommy, I tried really hard." I dropped the medicine issue. The next morning I put it in the Fruit Drink mix you can can from the church. Sort of like Tang. He drank it up with no complaints. Later he said, "I want more juice." I told him he couldn't have anymore. Pause. "I want more juice with medicine in it."
I couldn't help but smile. I did wonder if I had been played. Still, it was better than the previous 3 episodes so I tracked down another can of this drink mix and he's been taking his medicine just fine. Today as I was mixing the juice/med concoction I decided I would taste this stuff. So I put a very tiny drop, and I mean tiny drop, on my finger and tasted it. I gagged! It was horrible. I thought I wanted to throw up. Quickly I grabbed the bag of peanut butter M&M's to mask the awful taste. The candy helped. There really must be something to that spoonful of sugar business. Why bother making such a nasty children's medicine? I mean that stuff plain would make me ill. Well, at least my experience gave me empathy for my son.
On another note, a couple of days before we were to see the dermatologist I thought Claire might be reacting to the sunscreen b/c she had this rash spot on her forehead. I looked at her and asked, "What are this spots on your forehead?" She pulled away and said, "I don't know, but don't worry, we're going to the dermatologist soon and she'll figure it out."
So when did my 6 year old become intelligent enough to use dermatologist correctly in a sentence? I probably told her at one time what a dermatologist did, but don't remember. Anyway, she sounded so grown up. I forget she is growing up. I still see my little Claire and she is turning into a grown up little girl. It happens so fast.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Vilken månad du verkar ha haft! Hoppas ni börjar komma i ordning iaf!
Vad roligt med andra svenska missionärer... hoppas du övar din svenska ordentligt! Vad heter de? Men du, lingonsylt på rostat bröd? Det skulle nog inte någon svensk våga pröva... så surt! ;)
Visst har jag galna pojkar! Olof fyllde tre år för två veckor sedan och cyklar nu för fullt utan stödhjul... Jätteduktig! :) Men de är ju killar också - killar har ingen känsla för vad som kan vara farligt! :)
Ha det så bra!
good thinking with the fruit juice. Walgreens often flavors medicine too. Don't know if they could flavor that one . . .
Post a Comment